Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rolling with the punches

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I had a rough week, where nothing was going my way, I just couldn't manage to find time to get things done and felt like I didn't get enough workouts in. June gloom is upon us a little early in Southern California. For those of you that don't know what that means....the marine base layer hangs around off shore and creates this foggy, drizzly, cool, cloudy, unmotivating weather every morning that tends to burn off into sunshine by 2 in the afternoon. It's just enough to make you wear warmer clothes and make you not want to get much accomplished outside.

The weather played a factor in limiting my normal walks during work hours, it's just not okay for me to be dragging my little glamazon in training around outside. To make matters worse, my nagging cold has been passed on to her now. Everyone knows how draining a sick child can be, but I have to say, she is one tough, happy baby. Ear infection and pink eye didn't slow her down much. Naps were few and far between, and there was a lot of snuggle time this last week. No naptime stepmill workouts or crazy long hikes with the stroller. I took a few full rest days from crossfit this week to work late or recover from my brutal training last weekend. Rest days are very challenging for me, but proved to be very positive and much needed. When I did workout this week, I attacked with a vengeance and felt great. By Friday, I was pretty much mentally and physically exhausted though.

While Katy was doing her crazy race on Saturday, I finally got a long workout in myself. A morning crossfit partner wod full of handstand holds, plank holds, and wall sits, while you switch through completing 100 reps of OH Squats, Ball slams and burpees. Just what I needed to get my blood flowing for my solo hike I had planned. Hiking alone is such a mental challenge for me because I definitely wanted to stop the first mile or so. I question what I am doing this for, think about how tired I am, my mind races with all the normal life tasks I should be accomplishing. Once I get past that initial wall, I am in the zone. I hiked the same route I did last week with my friend, set a goal to beat the time and made up a punishment for stopping for taking my pack off for water breaks. I was stopped by fellow hikers a few times with questions about what I was doing (which I get the same reaction of "you have got to be kidding me" like every time) but managed to cover a little over five miles in about an hour and 30 minutes I think. I felt so good when I got back to my car, that I grabbed my 2 gravel filled buckets and headed straight back to the trail. Headed uphill for .6 miles and came back down with those damn buckets swinging and scratching my legs. Stupid buckets. Crazy thing was, I felt awesome when I got back to my car. Did 6.5 miles and felt like I could do more. I am seeing improvements, feeling stronger, my hard work is paying off (and maybe there is some truth behind those dreaded rest days!)

It's only appropriate to fess up and declare my celebratory weekend shenanigans post hike. Lent was over as of Easter Sunday, but I celebrated Saturday night. Being the dedicated and sometimes silly person that I am, I chose to reboot my system for Lent. Katy and I called it Look Good Naked Ops. I gave up sweets, which meant limiting my sugar intake even though I am not a big dessert eater, cleaned up the diet, worked out like mad, and worst of all NO BOOZE. That part was a little excessive. I will not lie, it was a tough 40 days (some days I was yelling out my car window at pedestrians and bicyclists), but it reaped it's benefits tenfold. I noticed changes in my energy levels, my workouts, my body.....I feel amazing. But not so much today. I met some friends for a few drinks Saturday night to be social and celebrate, and I seriously only intended on a few, but ended up tying one on. In Classic Loo style of course. Tequila, tequila, and more tequila. There was dancing and plenty of sweating (and I mean PLENTY of sweating)....that counts as a workout, right? Fun was had by all that night, it shall not be repeated until Katy and I finish the Death Race, and it's back to serious business now. Ready for Monday and a good week of workouts ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment