Monday, May 16, 2011

No air...no air

Well…let's just start this off by stating that I am typing with one hand so don’t judge me.  I ran a 5k rugged maniac mud run this Saturday and SOMEHOW managed to jack my hand up.  How does one eff their south paw up RUNNING you ask? I can do ANYTHING if I put my mind to it.  Basically what had happened was… there was a giant wall I had to get over and in true USMC form I leapt up to get my “chicken wing” over the top and while mid air decided to SMACK the crap out of my hand on the foot sill thing they nailed to the side…idiots.  Officially however, I was running from tigers and tripped on an orphan I ended up saving from getting eaten AND infected with SARS.  It’s in the paper you can Google it.  SO I have a giant black and blue hand and you can’t see my knuckles…Loo get mad when I don’t tell her stuff and she reads about it in the blog but I think it’s funny so HA Loo! J/K HEART YOU!!! Oh and make her post her mad face hiking pic it made me happy!
The race was actually harder than I thought it was going to be.  The terrain was hilly and less forgiving then I was prepared for and it reminded me not to think so highly of myself and my athletic abilities.  It wasn’t no death race but I remember one point running through the woods thinking “wait…what's happening…it’s only a 5k”.   At one point I was running next to this dude and he says to me “this is going to sound strange but you shop where I work… at the Bloom in Stafford” … yes young man that did in fact sound very strange and I’m not wearing a shirt right now so maybe you could have waited for some other opportunity to make me feel weird.  Now I am going to have to make awkward conversation with some person who works at my grocery store…GREAT just what I want in my already overly articulated extremely verbalized life…GREAT! Has anyone else noticed that we talk less and less about what we have been doing as far as training and more about whatever the hell we feel like now? This open forum where I can talk and none of you can talk back is kind of nice…I think in my next relationship I will blog instead of conduct 2 way comms with my partner.
Sunday I took my ruck out to Rag Mountain.  I loaded up Thor and water and snacks and off I went.  Never mind the rain.  Nevermind the mud and the rocks and the fact that traversing in a winding manner up a mountain to save energy makes me dizzy.  It was a good time me and nature we are BFF.  I got up to 3500ft elevation.  There isn’t a lot of air up there turns out but I slept like a CHAMP last night.  UGGG someone just sprayed me with body spray and it got into my mouth…these broads here are maniacs. 
It is mid May…that means we are about 5 weeks from go time.  I realized yesterday that Loo and I have talked (via text) every day since February (We have not actually spoken on the phone despite the fact that her purse calls me all the time.  We have an emergency action plan set up and that is the ONLY time we plan to make that call…so far we haven’t had to implement it and we hope it never comes to that).  I am excited to re-meet her.  I think it will be quite the experience when she trots off that plane and it’s like we have known each other for a millennium.  I can hear us now trying to get a word in edgewise about training and what to pack and OMG I’m so excited and I’m going to puke I’m so scared and what are we going to wear after the race and did you remember your Gerber if not I have an extra one…we need a camera crew. 

2 comments:

  1. ummmm what part of the race is this? You look like you're staring at a giant Filet Mignon... :) less than three.. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Katy..you kick ass and make me laugh at the time!

    ReplyDelete