Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's Mental

I made an executive decision on Monday night that Tuesday had to be a yoga day. Crossfitting 5 days in a row and beating myself up all weekend hiking, running, what have you took a bit of a toll on my body. Joints are sore, muscles are tweaked. I made the mistake of glancing at our daily wod Tuesday.....10! Bear complex, pullups and situps. UGGGGGHHHH. Probably one of my favorite workouts ever. Yes, that is how sick I am. But I stuck to my guns, listened to my body and did bikram yoga.

Talk about a mental challenge. I have been quite absent from practicing yoga for the last few months (like 3 or more!) which is absolutely terrible. I used to practice about 3 days a week before joining crossfit. Well, let me tell you about demoralizing and how my body pretty much gave me the big FU during the hour and a half struggle. My yoga brain no longer exists. Poses I used to rock, no longer happened so easily. I was not accepting what my body could give that day. I was staring at everyone else trying to compete with them. Stillness between poses was very difficult, non existent at times.....at one point I totally felt like a crossfitter that was stripping her shirt off and trying to pace around my mat, like I would shake out my hands during a wod and pick up the heavy weight again to get a few more reps. But, through forcing myself to go back to yoga, I realized my weaknesses and how I have been neglecting my body in very important ways. Stretching is necessary after all the abuse I put myself through. So, I will be heading back to yoga at least once a week from now until Death Race day. Not only for the healing of my body, but of my mind too.

To quote my roomie, who is an amazing personal trainer, crossfit instructor and fitness model....."It takes BALLS to rest." God, I struggle to rest, but after my demoralizing yoga workout Tuesday and the fact that my body is SOORRREEE.....I took a complete rest day Wednesday. I feel refreshed, mentally and physically. I am looking forward to the Tough Mudder race this weekend with my friends. A 12 mile obstacle course race through the mountains of Snow Valley. I have been brainstorming with Katy about stuff we will need/want our support crew to have for us at the race. Any ideas you guys have for us would be awesome! I have gotten to know some of my fellow death racers (somewhat local) and have made plans to meet up for some excursions on the weekends. It's been so great to meet people, create friendships, talk about workouts, encourage one another, make game plans about teamwork to survive and overcome the race! IT IS GETTING EXCITING FOLKS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment