Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Time Zone Issue

Okay, so everyday for the last week I have been receiving text messages from Katy starting promptly at 4:30am. They are about new developments in our race, the fact that she just ate AGAIN, or that the girl is already on the stepmill and working out. Katy- 7:30am for you is 4:30am for me! Turn off my phone you say? Not an option. I continue to check it every morning and begin my guilty feeling that this chick is already working out, roll over and hope to fall back asleep for another hour before I have to wake up for work. But this morning was different. I fire back a response instantly. Why you ask? Because at 4:30 this morning I was raiding my fridge devouring a jar of pickles and leftover chicken breast. Yes, I am starving all the time too. I can't stop eating. I feel like a baby that needs to be fed every 2 hours. Not only do I need to be concerned with how much money will be spent getting me to this race and purchasing all my supplies, but now I need to consider the drastic effect it is going to have on my grocery bill. I am just throwing this out there.....anyone who would like to adopt me and feed me for the next few months, I am cheap labor. Need a tree chopped down? Have some heavy rocks that you want moved? Need a swimming pool dug out in the backyard? Make me dinner and I am yours! Katy has already promised me cupcakes for our post-race celebration when we finish. Dude, I want pancakes. With lots of butter and maple syrup. Anyone who knows me won't judge my pancake obsession.

Let's talk about my hike yesterday with the stroller, the dog and my weighted backpack which holds 35 pounds of weights and the book The Purpose Driven Life. I threw that in there hoping that through osmosis I will receive some divine intervention and guidance about me doing this race. I am guessing I covered a total of 8 miles or so, and kept up a decent pace except for when I got stuck behind a gaggle of nannies that were gingerly strolling along their way to lunch at a bagel shop. I want to have lunch at a bagel shop! About 2 miles later I pass 2 moms enjoying an early afternoon cocktail in their front yard while they watch their kids scamper about and play with their legos. I want to bask in the sun and drink cocktails while the baby plays! I stopped at the next block and seriously asked myself, what am I doing? Will I always be like this? The answer is YES. I continued this conversation with a guy from my gym later that evening. Why do we have a workout problem? Is it really a problem? It could be worse.....we could be drug addicts, alcoholics or obese over eaters. I say working out and pushing your limits isn't a problem at all. It's an admirable quality. I will be like this until my body fails physically, ridden with arthritis and constant joint and muscle pain. Until then, keep slugging back the fish oil and keep going!

My crossfit gym is now a buzz with me doing this race. We have a coach named Jesse who writes a blog called the Danger Wod. It is filled with nonsensical, dangerous and absurd workout ideas that should never be attempted. The Death Race seems to be a bunch of Danger Wods all thrown into one day. The guys are visiting the site, watching videos and think it is all together a ridiculous idea. I have multiple volunteers that will let me push them in a wheelbarrow, will sit on the prowler sled as I push, or even be worn as a backpack while enjoying a hike. Who doesn't want to wear a boy like a backpack? In case you all didn't know, Katy and I have this desire to squat boys and hurt their pride. Yep, throw them over our shoulders and squat them. Doesn't matter if it is in a workout, at a comedy show, in a bar. I recently took it so far as to ask a police officer on main street while he was on duty to let me wear all his equipment while I attempted to squat him. Pushing the limit? ALWAYS.

So, I realize that Katy's blogs are awesome, humorous, and eloquently written. Sorry, that I ramble and tend to not make sense. I was an art major in college, I have worked with kids for the last 10 years. I have mush for brains because I spend my days singing nursery rhymes, the ABC's, watching Sesame Street and carrying on conversations with babies that don't answer me.

3 comments:

  1. I just started laughing from like the third word and haven't stopped..its true..Now that I am dumber due to this race training I forget where Loo lives...good thing she hearts me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls are a hoot!! Miss Laura we will feed you anytime you just let me know a I will have Jim fire up the bbq you know me I am an excellent team mother. Reading about your daily work outs I must admit is making me feel like slug and also inspired. BTW I am up at 4:30 daily to go to crappy work you will adjust eventually LOL! Keep up the good work

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Loo remembers to talk about her work outs...I go off on dumb tangents about my dog and being hungry...I swear guys...I'm working out too!!

    ReplyDelete