Sunday, June 5, 2011

Delusional

BAHAHAHAHAHA...ridiculous...so amidst the training for the Death Race which is a mere 17 days away, I also am KIND of training for the R.A.T. race next Saturday ( I say kind of because I can't really get out and learn how to kayak in 6 days).  It is a multi sport race 10 miles of mountain biking, 4 miles of kayaking and 5 miles of trail running.  SO since that race is this Saturday I figured I should get fairly (as much as I can again in 6 days) comfortable on my bike.
 So here is another bad habit of mine.  I am a LITTLE delusional when it comes to my physical abilities.  I remember vividly the first time this trait reared its ugly head.   I was in 7th grade.  I went skiing with my best friend at the time Virginia Jarvis.  I had been skiing once before that I think when I was 7 and I'm SURE I didn't actually ski.  So Virginia and I ventured over to the bunny slope an went down twice.  After my second run down the basically flat snow surface I decided OBVIOUSLY I was good enough to do a black diamond. I mean...I didn't fall, I could stop, I didn't run into anyone...I was good.  Onto the lift I went and up up over up up up .  I got to the top of the slope and thought to myself  "self...this is going to be bad" but I was up there so...never mind I couldn't see the slop below me due to the angle of decent.  I went for it how else was I supposed to get down.  I got MAYBE 20 and no longer had either of my skis and only one pole was still in my hand.  True to form though I made it down mostly on my ass partly on my two feet...delusional. 
SO my point (yes there was one) seeing as I had ridden my bike in my neighborhood along the very wide gravel hills and also maneuvered successfully through pedestrian traffic in D.C. OVBIOUSLY I was ready for 10 mile on the trail of Lodi Farm.  More than likely none of you know what Lodi is.  Its and ACTUAL mountain bike trail...where ACTUAL mountain bikers go to ride their bikes.  That means its technical, slippery, steep, rooty, logy and NARROW.  Let us not mention (OK we will) that we took a wrong turn and ended up on the 10 mile route instead of the 5.  We will also pretend not to mention that I was a BRAT!! I do not fare well doing things I'm not good at doing so there was a lot of "GOD BLESS AMERICA"'s getting yelled.  I fell about 70 times and one of these probably the BEST fall...well hmmm I went over the handle bars going downhill BEFORE I knew you are supposed to get up off the saddle and sit back and lean forward (people like to tell me things after the fact)...but I think better than that was riding over a rail bridge and it turned slightly but I decided it was a better idea to stay straight and go front wheel first into the creek bank.  It was EPIC.  Out of a movie or comedy.  My wheel his the bank and bounced back but I kept going forward.  Needless to say I was laughed at a LOT today. 
 I know that this is supposed to be talking all about the DR training so i will throw in here at the end I that I went and got Loo and I the 10 ft of climbing rope we are required to have (static, dynamic who effing knows I closed my eyes and pointed) and some enduromax at the recommendation of a Ms Carrie Adams runner and DR crew-er extraordinaire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment